SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jib furler is hard to furl since putting up new sail...ideas?
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
Jib furler is hard to furl since putting up new sail...ideas?

My headsail has become VERY hard to furl in. It used to furl in very easily. I put up a new sail that's about 6 inches shorter. Just before that I replaced the worn 1/4" furling line with smaller line. Now the furler is so hard to turn I nearly have to put all my weight into it just to get the jib furled in. I'm going to go back to the old furler line and see if that makes a difference. The new sail is a heavier weight 125 headsail with a thick UV filter on it. The old sail was a lighter weigh 135 without a UV filer on it. My initial thoughts we its harder to furl because its a thicker sail, but it seems to be very hard to furl. Way too difficult. I have lubed the bearings so I don't think it's the actual furling unit. What can I do to make the furler easier to operate other than larger furling line?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook