SailNet Community - View Single Post - Learning curve
Thread: Learning curve
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Learning curve

Well, what started as a long-term cruise, became a short one. Fifteen days worth. I won't recount all the trials and tribulations, but the main thing was, that while I had diligently prepared the boat, I neglected to do the same for the Captain. Things that should have been second nature (from practice) were things that I would forget when tired. Plus, November is not the time of year to try doing the "Ditch" from Texas to Florida. The weather is too unpredictable, the days too short, and a lack of support resources that isn't apparent until you need them. So, after about 200 miles traveled and halfway to New Orleans, I spent 4 days at the Lake Arthur Yacht Club (a great and hospitable group of folks) and decided to go back to Texas for the winter. That way, I could do some things on the boat that I learned while using her, and cruise the South Coast of Texas to better prepare myself to sail across the Gulf come spring.

Though it didn't become what I had planned, it was a great learning experience. Some things I thought would come easily, didn't. While some things I thought it might take a while to get the hang of, I was able to do readily. Mostly though, it showed me I wasn't really ready to be out there full time. So now that the boat is pretty much ready, I'll work on doing the same for myself.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook