SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mooring vs slip?
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Mooring vs slip?

Chef, I get your point, mooring fields would naturally choose the best locations. However, in just about all that I can think of, you can find a good anchorage immediately next to the last ball. Do it all the time. I will admit, a kid will very occasionally come along and try to say you can't anchor there or try to tell you there is a huge rock under you or some other nonsense to protect their revenue. But its almost never true. (almost)

On the other hand, I will often take one of their transient moorings, which I'm thankful are plentiful in the NE. Now I am in that theoretical best spot for the night. Moorings may be a bit of false security, but for me, it reduces the worry of what is going to happen to the boats around me. I've seen boats drag on anchor about 100 to 1 over a mooring failure. So, when its going to blow all night long and the anchorage is crowded, I'm grateful for the transient moorings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook