SailNet Community - View Single Post - Vancouver 27 vs Albin Vega 27
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Re: Vancouver 27 vs Albin Vega 27

Agri, you would do well to get the book I mentioned above as it really gives a great account of what a Vancouver 27 can do. Link below:

Winter in Fireland: A Patagonian Sailing Adventure: Amazon.ca: Nicholas Coghlan: Books Winter in Fireland: A Patagonian Sailing Adventure: Amazon.ca: Nicholas Coghlan: Books

The British couple average 100 nautical miles or better a day on all their passages, which is reasonable for a 27 footer. Their route went from South Africa to Brazil, down the Atlantic coast to Patagonia and then into the Chilean canals (I haven't finished the book yet, so I don't know where they go next!). Demanding, difficult conditions the whole way and the boat performed flawlessly. This is an area very seldom sailed in 27-foot boats... It might not be the ideal choice for local sailing in light winds, but I think for longer trips it's pretty much ideal. The lower SA/D isn't necessarily a big problem. The Van 27 is a cutter so it is well suited to going downwind with both headsails poled out. You can also use a code zero or asymmetrical to get more sail area in light conditions. The cutter rig makes it much easier to balance the boat, especially when you start to reduce sail. Most of their sailing in the south Atlantic was under just a (partially furled) staysail and perhaps a triple-reefed main. This kept the boat balanced and comfortable in bad conditions. Again, the kind of sailing you plan on doing will determine whether the Vancouver or the Vega is better for you. Both are terrific boats. Have you had the chance to take a trial sail on both yet? I think a few hours on each boat will help you to make the decision. One will just feel "right".