SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
New boat: Grand Soleil 43 and GS 39

Now that Dusseldorf is approaching there are more interesting new boats coming to the market (to be presented at the boat show) than the ones I can post. You could give me a help on that

Certainly an interesting one is the Grand Soleil 43, especially after the big success of the 39.

Before talking about the 43 some more words about the 39.

When testing the 39 the tester from Yachtingworld mentioned that the boat had a problem on the steering and rudder being to easy to lost control.

I found that rather strange. I have read several other test sails about the boat and nothing was mentioned. Also the number of boats sold seem to indicate that is a very good sailboat. Of course to really know it that is the case I would have to try it but face to the number of other testers that did not mention that and on the contrary say that the steering is very precise I tend to believe that is just that. A racing car has a very light and fast steering, that a casual driver may find to fast and dangerous, it seems to me that it is also the case with the Grand Soleil. Nothing wrong with that if you know how to handle it, in fact the kind of sailors that will buy that boat will be looking for a steering like that.

Of course, I can be wrong, as the other guys that tested the boat, some in muscular circumstances. Anyway, before buying one I would test sail the boat to see if I like it or not but I would say that the chances are that I would like it. That is my style of boat.

Here you have another test by a Yachts and Yachting. They tested the boat with 6 to 9 K wind (and to be fair they could not have noticed what was referred by the YatchingWorld tester, that tested the boat with more wind. They say about the boat:

It is hard to fault the GS39 for ease of use. It was a delight to sail...the boat has space beyond her size, and yet will be easily sailed by two on extended cruises. ...A stiff, easily driven hull and excellent, high quality sail controls...

Yachts and Yachting Magazine

Now in what regards the new 43 and looking at its technical characteristics I am particularly impressed by the D/B ratio (35%) considering that with that ballast the boat will have a 2m draft and a highly efficient torpedo keel. The ratio is even more impressing if we consider that the hull is not beamy by modern standards, but it not also narrow (4m) and that will give the boat a lot of hull form stability. So this will be a stiff boat, no doubt.

The boat is also light (8800kg) and that with the big stiffness will make it a very fast boat specially upwind on a breeze.

Grand Soleil - Cantiere del Pardo

On the outside it looks like the big brother of the 39 (the designer is the same) and if you liked that one you will like this one. The interior looks just great to me. It seems to be a great performance cruiser.

We will see if the test reports are as good as on the 39 and if the boat is as successful as the 39, that will bring the Grand Soleil shipyard to a very solid position. Is good to remember that some few years back they were almost bankrupt and were saved by Bavaria that bought them. it seems that they have made a great job, better than the one of Hanse with Dehler, maintaining the boat quality and helping them to be competitive again.

Some photos and a video with the first one being built.

Last edited by PCP; 10-13-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook