SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jib furler is hard to furl since putting up new sail...ideas?
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Jib furler is hard to furl since putting up new sail...ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
It could also have to do with the shorter hoist on the new sail. There is more halyard between the mast exit and the swivel, and it will be at a shallower angle, more parallel to the forestay, and as result it could twist around the forestay.
I suspect this assessment is exactly correct. If your masthead is not fitted with a halyard guide that will maintain a 10º angle between the line of forestay and the line of the halyard, the halyard will wrap. With only a 6" difference there isn't enough halyard for a full wrap that would make it impossible to furl but I suspect you are torquing the poop out of your foil. Make up a pendant for the sails tack to allow the head to reach closer to the masthead and I suspect your problem will be solved. Better yet, take trip up the mast and install a halyard guide. The greater the angle between the halyard and the forestay the better up to about 15º.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook