SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mooring vs slip?
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Mooring vs slip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I still need an explanation from whoever posted that moorings are safer from slips in a storm.

Dave

Dave,

You'd not catch me dead at a dock in a storm. In fact many up this way move off docks and out to moorings. I would rather have my boat on my mooring, in a bad storm, than on the hard with the risk of being blown over.

Properly moored the boat will suffer no damage unless hit by an inappropriately moored boat.. On more than one occasion I have moved our boat from a dock to our mooring when a storm was coming. In fact last year in the "Hurricane that wasn't" there were dock spaces available at NE Harbor yet no moorings. People wanted off the docks and onto moorings. We waited it out and got a mooring.

In the Perfect Storm the boat I was working on at the time, a 2+ million dollar sport fishing boat, had a 6' hole in her stbd side and was snapping 1" dock lines like it was kite string. The other crew mates who were there bought a 600' spool and kept replacing them. When high tide came, and the ocean made the break wall useless, the damage got even worse. The boat suffered more than 6 figures in damage in what was considered a "protected" marina. Only one boat on a mooring broke free yet nearly every boat at the docks had damage.

Last fall while up in the Harrasseekett River I moved our boat off the dock and to a mooring when a 40-50 knot predicted storm was due. It never even blew 40 but did blow over 30. The boat next to me, who remained on the dock, had a toasted Awlgrip job and was beam to the wind pinched against the finger pier....

We survived this storm on our mooring with zero damage as did all the boats in this video:

Most boats in this marina had damage and many sunk like these two:

and these two still in the water:

My mooring keeps me pointed into the prevailing storm and in over 40 years of myself and our family using moorings, even in severe storms, no damage....... On our offshore islands, where fisherman bet their lives on their boats to live there year round, they use moorings not docks because they are safer. You won't see a single commercial boat on an off shore island left tied to a pier or dock during a storm.

Heck, even our kayaks that were in their racks on the beach were destroyed in the waves and storm surge. One of them was even Kevlar, yet both were snapped like toothpicks. Our boat, on her mooring, road it out with zero issues. Never even chafed through a pendant...

Some marinas are better protected than others but up here being on a dock during a storm can be a liability when compared to a good mooring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 10-13-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook