SailNet Community - View Single Post - Review of my season on Georgian Bay
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012

chamonix is on a distinguished road
Re: Review of my season on Georgian Bay

I had set up the autopilot but was concerned about the amount of power it would draw, so I had it energized, but we would only turn it on if we needed a break. This was also wise in that the waves were creating a rather uncomfortable motion. The bow would go through a 30 degree arc either side of our course every time a wave passed, which was often. The autopilot ( and ourselves ) had to work hard to keep up. So the night passed. Had to run the engine to charge the batteries at about midnight. On a side note my wife was surprised that the moon set at about 1/2:00 AM. She thought the moon was up all night long. I gave her a withering look.
At first light we were about an hour short of Hope Island, which was fine by me. The batteries need charging again so we fired up the engine. As it happened the wind had been creeping around from the Northwest back to the East all night long. We started off on a run and were now close hauled (the winds a bloody sneaky thing). As the sun came up the wind died completely, so the engine came on, sails went down and we motored the rest of the way into the Hope Channel (channel between Hope and Christian/Beckwith Island).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook