SailNet Community - View Single Post - Opposition to liveaboards
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
WingNwing - Thanks for seeing a bit of what I was attempting to portray in my il-percieved posting. I have to admit I am more inclined to "side" with the opinion and perspective you have expoused and am well aware that you are far from a poor. and did not intend to indicate otherwise. My apology if you were at all offended.
I found it quite interesting you both responded at almost the same time !
I enjoy you writing style and appreciate what I feel is your steady and fair approach to things boating related. As you stated we've had slightly different opinions about things in the past. But no bother , I enjoy exchange w/ those of differing views. It's one of he reasons I come to sailnet, to hears different takes on stuff.
Interesting to know of your personal friendshp w/ Chef2sail , small world !
Also , glad to hear the american dream is working for you. sounds like you made all the right choices at all the right times. Hope it continues for ya.
you have a very nice manner of writing. I'm admitedly envious.
Joe - I wouldn't call your initial posting "ill-conceived" so much as "complex and difficult to articulate in just a few words," which is exactly what you stated at the outset. And it certainly sparked an interesting conversation. Let me see if I can state what I finally got out of it (let me know if I'm understanding you correctly). Were you trying to say that when you saw Chef's and my opposing posts, it seemed enlightening that despite the claims of class warfare, the rich don't all have the exact opinions on any given subject, any more than the middle class do, or the poor do ... in the final analysis there's no 1%, or 47%, and although there may be trends, you can't know what someone is likely to think or do just because you know their income or financial status. In the end, we're all just individual people, and you have to get to know and understand each of us one at a time.

Back to living aboard: I find it interesting is that it seems that what most marinas object to in their stereotypes of liveaboards aren't things that cost money, and that's why I totally don't get their prejudice; this is what I alluded to in my comment about showing up in person so they'd see we would be good citizens of the marina community. The stereotype seems to be someone who's dirty, has their cr@p strewn about the dock near their slip, maybe loud and drunken. (Not fair, but there you are.) Even if you're working two jobs and don't have time to polish your brightwork, it doesn't cost money to be considerate, pick up your trash, groom occasionally, and all that. Maybe this is also part of what you meant in your initial comment about seeing that economics is not a good predictor of how someone would act?

Finally, on a personal note, what would I have to be offended about? I take it as a compliment that you didn't think we were swaggering about showing off wads of cash. (I debated mightily that blog post a year or so ago where we detailed our baseline cruising budget.) "When you've really arrived," my dad used to tell me, "you don't have to shout about it."

I've been following your posts, are you going to be stopping in Annapolis? We could get together for a beer. No blue blazers, I promise!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook