SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help With Offshore Navigation
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Re: Help With Offshore Navigation

Forgive me for leading you all to believe I don't know my jib from my main or my port from my starboard. I have tons of experience sailing inland waters and I have sailed Hobie cats and Sun Fish around the Bahamas (From Man-o-War to Nippers).

Basically the difference here is that I live on this boat and that the trip will most likely entail a stop before I reach my destination. Also, its much easier to navigate the Bahamas because there are so many markers and you know the island count (Okay we just past Scotland key to green turtle will be coming up ect.)
I have no experience sailing the eastern seaboard but I am not an idiot and my boat i s outfitted and ready top go. I know every bolt of my boat and am more than confident in my abilities should something happen mechanical-structural.
My way-point, or better yet region of uncertainty lies entirely with navigation and making an overnight or multiple stop trip where I will not tie up from where I left off.

So please no more belittling replies of I have no idea of this or that. Thats ridiculous, I regular single hand in 20+ knots and sail back into my slip. I am just always used to having land markers for reference and need help making the jump to sea navigation.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook