SailNet Community - View Single Post - What I learned at the Annapolis Boat Show
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: What I learned at the Annapolis Boat Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
16. Electronic navigation is wonderful but I wonder how many sailors know paper chart navigation or how to use a sextant? To me, the latter is like having a hand pump in the bilge.
I don't find using paper charts really any different than a plotter, just far less convenient.

As to sextants, I used to think that way - it would be crazy to go offshore without one - but two things changed my mind. First was the Pardey's writing about their 45 day trip from Japan to Victoria, B.C. They only got two questionable sights through overcast the whole way. The second was a friend who sailed from here to S.F. - they NEVER got a sight. They had to dead reckon the whole trip, including when the owner didn't bother to keep a log on his shifts.

Both of them hit their goals pretty well dead on. My friend said he'd go with a good plotter and backup handhelds and I think he has a point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook