SailNet Community - View Single Post - Opposition to liveaboards
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Many of the marinas we've stayed in have offered anchored or moored boats the option to land their dinghies here, take advantage of shoreside services like laundry and bathhouse and internet lounge, for a nominal fee, $10 per dinghy per day on the days they use it, and no one seems to have a problem with that. Of course, long term anchored/moored boats need to have some provision for pumpout and waste removal. The issues I've seen between marinas and anchored boats tend to be related to pollution, improper anchoring (either dragging into boats in slips, or anchoring so close that those boats can't safely leave), or noise (generators or music either loud or at inconsiderate hours), or trying to game the system by sneaking in and not paying. But those are bad behavior regardless, whether someone's a liveaboard or not, on land or on water.

Sounds like someone who's an asset to the marina community. I'm not surprised that the owner appreciated having you there.

With you there - consideration, thinking about the effect your actions have on those around you, make for good relations. Isn't this the stuff we learned in kindergarden?
Charging a small fee to use the marina facilities sounds fair to me. The marina is a business and must make a profit in order to continue providing all the services that most everyone here appreciates. As far as consideration goes, everyone including the inconsiderate expect it from others. In my opinion, the only way to get it is to give it. I'm sure those drunken revellers appreciate the fact that all the people they kept awake all night don't drop by their boat 3 hours after they pass out and commence a loud discussion about the beauty of the sunrise while having coffee 5 feet from their boat. There is a time and place for everything.

I do understand the frustration some of you must feel with junked up, funky smelling eyesores and those overly possesive of dock space but I think it is the marina managers who need to draw a line in the sand with that sort of behavior. A lot of people have mentioned crazy long waiting lists for slip space. Why put up with that kind of behavior or expect your good paying renters to deal with it when there are so many others waiting in line. Besides, an example or two will send a message that that sort of behavior is not acceptable. There are far better ways to deal with the problem than banning the good with the bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
To live in a mooring in public waters is far worse than to live in a marina. A marina is not public, you pay for it, a mooring is in public waters. If you are occupying permanently one space you are preventing all others from using a space that belong to all. In Europe in most places they will only allow sailors to be there for a short amount of time (in some places one day) and it is fair, it is the way to warranty that all can enjoy that place.

Regards

Paulo
I was under the assumption that some mooring fields were actually owned and managed by the marina near it. I thought that some were public and managed by municipalities, some single moorings, mainly near houses, were privately owned, and some were commercially owned by marinas. I may be totally mistaken in this since I have never stayed on a mooring. I thought that people who payed a monthly fee were assigned a certain mooring and paid the marina that owned it along with any fees to use marina facilities and dinghy docks. My question was directed towards commercially rented moorings rather than public or community type moorings. Are there different types of mooring fields or have I just confused myself into thinking that there are differences?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook