SailNet Community - View Single Post - Latts & Atts is GONE!
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012

HBar50 is on a distinguished road
Re: Latts & Atts is GONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
What's the magazine of today for cruisers who are just plain folk on real budgets (not boat bums, but not wealthy either) who want a down to earth magazine, with real information and articles, geared toward the simple adventurous life? Does that even exist anymore?

My husband and I have been dreaming of the cruising life for 30 years. We had figured to be retired by now, but life (kids, grandkids, other twists and turns) conspired to keep us grounded a while longer. But throughout all these years we have been active sailors and have lived aboard several boats. So we know we are ready. The day we cut the dock lines is within sight. But in the meantime good cruising reads keep the fire fueled during the cold Chesapeake winter.

We have been subscribers to Cruising World, Sail, Chesapeake Bay (we live there), Good Old Boat, Lats & Atts, Wooden Boat and various others over the years.

Cruising World used to be our go-to magazine, but now it seems to be nothing but slick cover to cover advertisements for boats and gear that no normal person (or at least WE) could ever afford. The actual cruising articles are few and far between, and again usually written by people cruising on a boat and/or budget out of the reach of most people.

Sail is usually a lot about racing and, again, very expensive toys for very wealthy people. There's usually one or two decent articles, but it's best feature this month was the 20% off coupon for Harbor Freight.

I used to read every word on those two magazines, cover to cover, like I was reading from the Bible every month. Now I can get through one in 15-20 minutes tops.

Good Old Boat is nice, but a little pricey for what you get and after a subscribing for a number of years it seems like it's the same fixer-upper articles, just done on different boats. It's best feature is bringing to the attention of those looking for a potential cruiser boats that maybe they hadn't heard of or considered.

I too got bored with Lats & Atts (honestly, middle aged people using the word "kewl" ???) after a few years, but at least it was normal people and showed the earthy side of things.

How I miss the real cruising stories written by the likes of the Pardy's, Hal Roth, Eric Hiscock and the like. People on simple (but usually meticulously maintained) boats, using simple systems, living within a budget and cruising with dignity. The ones whose conduct and example made cruisers welcomed guests in the harbors of the world.

So, again I ask, what are the cruisers reading now??

Becky

I do not read any of the US sailing rags anymore for the same reasons....try Yachting Monthly and Practical Boat Owner from the UK. Lots of good information that is not a thinly disguised advert.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook