SailNet Community - View Single Post - Opposition to liveaboards
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean101 View Post

I was under the assumption that some mooring fields were actually owned and managed by the marina near it. I thought that some were public and managed by municipalities, some single moorings, mainly near houses, were privately owned, and some were commercially owned by marinas. I may be totally mistaken in this since I have never stayed on a mooring. I thought that people who payed a monthly fee were assigned a certain mooring and paid the marina that owned it along with any fees to use marina facilities and dinghy docks. My question was directed towards commercially rented moorings rather than public or community type moorings. Are there different types of mooring fields or have I just confused myself into thinking that there are differences?
I don't know how things are there but here the coastal waters are public. The authorities can give a permit to and individual or a club for installing and managing a buoy camp. That permission is always temporary and does not give any property rights except temporary ones regarding the service. A buoy camp provides a service different from the one a marina provides. It is not meant to have permanently boats on mooring but to provide a safe place for cruising boats on passage or for some nice days in a nice place.

They exist as a way of protecting the bottom from anchors in natural reserves or protected places, as a way to provide mooring places on nice sheltered places were the deep is to high to anchor or inappropriate to anchors or in nice protected places as a way to increase the number of cruising boats that will have a place there.

They provide a service that is of public interest and that's why the authorities have given the concession for them anyway.

Having boats permanently on them will go against the reason they where created. I know that in some places there are some that are used as permanent mooring places, mostly for small boats. In my opinion they should not be allowed. If we allow that in little time we will have all protected areas full of permanent moorings (in public waters) and that will not permit all other cruisers to enjoy nice sheltered places on a temporary basis, I mean while cruising.

Best regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-13-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook