SailNet Community - View Single Post - who had right away?
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road
who had right away?

i saw another post and i had the same question about a situation with me almost getting cut in half.
So i was sailing down wind with little to no wind doing 1mph. motor was off and up just using the main sail. so there was this fishing boat about 40-60 ft local lobster boat. i was staying same course and he was near the shore then he started coming out to the middle of the bay were i was and i thought ok he'll pass port to port but then as he got closer he changed course or something happened it looked like he was coming at me now. so i turne to cut across his bow the only way i could get more speed to move it'd put me on a reach instead of a run but that didn't help it looked like he turned again he was now 100 ft away so i turned back to turn port to port and he wouldn't change course at all so i droped the motor down really quick and turned it on and went full throttle right away to get out of his way as he was now 15 ft away and bearing down on my. at last second i pulled the dinghy away from his bow if i didn't he would of hit it. so what should i have done diffrently? or who was right?