SailNet Community - View Single Post - Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Re: Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.

Long day today, or more acurately , Long night. I think I got about 2-3 hours contiguous, As I was stoking the woodstove to keep it warm for the crew and the Funny part is this morning they said it was so hot they had to kick the covers off ! (woops) Hey ,just didn't want anybody catching cold.
We cast off at the usual crack of 9am. (can't seem to get it going) with plenty of frost on the boat, frozen dock lines don't coil well. By 10 or 11 the sun was begininng to work it's magic and itwas a beautiful day to travel the last leg of the Mohawk river to welcoming Waterford.
We pulled up to the guard gate at the top of the "staircase" at lock 6 and after securing to the wall I promptly grabbed my trusty rechargable saw and helped eliminate all of last years storm driven driftwood from the surrounding area for fuel in the wood stove.
Even as we didn't arrive until after 5pm the lock tender was about and I introduced myself and told him what we were doing (scavenging wood) and he was cool w/ it.
So we're locked inside a fenced area again (for our own protection?) until the lock master returns in the morning.
I failed to mention that in Sylvan Beach,NY I spotted a fella on a 34' columbia (If memory serves) a flat decked boat. and introduced myself and crew. His name was "Skip" and he is from the haverstraw area of the hudson up for a joyride on the Erie canal. We traveled in tandem for a few days leaving him in Little Falls at the town operated Marina/seawall in the capable hands of "chris" the harbor master . Chris was a pleasure to meet and We all enjoyed $2 showers $5.00 pump outs and if you chose to stay $10 for dockage and for an additional $20 you could hook up to water and electric. We said our fairwells to skip and continued on.
Now we'll rest up this evening as it's quite warmer and I can be less diligent w/ the heat. It's time to switch gears and shuffle everything about to get ready to become a sailboat again.
I've gotta check all the lights and all the rigging and try to remember how it all goes together.
I am excited to get the mast up, but first a day or so prep in Waterford and a close eye on the weather. And it looks favorable the next couple days , forcast says sun and 60 degrees ,works for me.
So tonight I burned some burgers and dogs on the grill , ate too much , and am anticipating the sunrise.
Yeee-Ha can't wait to get down the way.
One other issue is I need to find some hudson river and NYC Harbor charts as I returned the ones I had borrowed 4 years ago to The Gordon Family (check out their blog and book google Amicus Sailing,cool family) whom we met in the dismal swamp a few years back. They are from MN and coincidentely heading south again as we are .
When We visited them in Baldwinsvile last week Mark (Gordon) asked if by chance I still had the charts and I said of course, and was able to return them to him for his own use again .
But it left me w/out so I guess I'll have to find some more - anyone have some they want to part with?? I suspect they can't be too hard to find.
We'll be at the wall tommorrow in Waterford, I understand it's the last sunday for the farmers market, I hope to stock up on some produce as well as everything else before setting off south.
Some have inquired as to out route. We hope to go into the chessey from the delaware
( I dreaad the Delaware) and south through the estuary stopping along the way. Definately Annapolis ( probably anchor up spa creek) I'm in the market for a Mainsail that actually fits the mast and boom (as apposed to the thing I currently have) and of course I'll have to swing by sailrite for a dream walk through and make a small offering.
So , don't alert the harbormaster ! last time we were their the harbormaster was real nice and loaded us up with good intel on the dingy landings and a heads up about the showers and the honey boat (pumpout) it was welcomed info.

Stay tuned , the fun and adventure hasn't even begun!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook