SailNet Community - View Single Post - who had right away?
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: who had right away?

From your story, this is pretty clear;
Quote:
So i was sailing down wind with little to no wind doing 1mph. motor was off and up just using the main sail. so there was this fishing boat about 40-60 ft local lobster boat. i was staying same course and he was near the shore then he started coming out to the middle of the bay were i was and i thought ok he'll pass port to port but then as he got closer he changed course or something happened it looked like he was coming at me now.
You were a sailboat - with atrocious grammar. It should have been clear to any observer that your motor was off, and not in the water, so you were not under power. He was a Lobster Boat - i.e. NOT a vessel constrained by draft, nor his rig. You were the stand on vessel, and therefore obligated to maintain course and speed, unless a collision was immenent.

A call to the coast guard reporting this clown would be a service to all other boaters in your area, but it will probably also get you shot. Think of it as taking one for all other boaters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook