SailNet Community - View Single Post - who had right away?
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: who had right away?

Talk of COLREGS is all well and good EXCEPT here in the North East when dealing with lobstermen.

While they know and are aware of them they could mostly care less. You're a "yachty" out "recreating" and they are working an already short season for a low boat price. Trust me they could care less about your "privileged" stand on status. If you don't understand how they fish or know how to predict where they are going next then just give them wide berth and stay out of the way.

Assert your "stand on" position with a lobsterman and you'll likely get hit like a friend of mine did in the Muscle Ridge. USCG did SQUAT, they could have cared less, and the big C&C had thousands in damages but the old Downeaster nary a scratch......... He lost 7 weeks of sailing and the lobsterman just kept on fishing like nothing happened....

I have been a commercial lobsterman and now work for a number of them fixing their boats. COLREGS mean squat to most of them, with regard to recreational boaters....

Oh and these guys mean business. Hell, they shoot each other, sink each others boats, ram each other, dump 55 gallons drums of rotten bait into "yachty boats", when the Yachty pisses them off, one boat a total loss, and that's just scratching the surface....

You really think a lobsterman gives two hoots about "I'm under sail your power, I'm rubber your glue blah blah blah" they don't..... Just give wide berth and don't get into a situation that could put you in danger.

Also please keep in mid that they may be actively laying a string. They can only do this in one direction and often are lining up to lay it in-between other strings so as not to have a huge tangle on the bottom. So while it may look like they are not "engaged" in fishing, to the untrained eye, they very well may be positioning for a string lay or actively dumping a string. If they are doing this they will not "give way"...

This is what laying a string can look like... Watch carefully and you'll see the pot buoy trailing behind as they line up for a the lay. The one trap goes over followed by the rest. Once the string is dropped they will waste NO TIME getting to the next one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 10-13-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook