SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying a 30-40 year old boat - your opinions
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Buying a 30-40 year old boat - your opinions

Julie, you mention the price of the Sabre and here you hit the proverbial nail on the head. Our 30 year old Bristol is a solid bluewater cruiser with a decent turn of speed for its age and purpose. For interest sake, I looked at Annapolis for a similar purposed and size (length and displacement) and the closest I could find was an IP around 46 feet (forget the exact model). It was something like $800k which is close to 4x what we have in Ainia. There is no comparison of the two boats for appearance or performance. I could say easy choice, but there really was no choice. In reality it was not a Bristol 45.5 compared to an IP 46 (size), it was the Bristol vs something like a new Catalina in the low to mid 30s (price).
Heading back to Lake Ontario for this summer. Relatively few stops along the way from Grenada. Martinique, Guadeloupe, St. Martin (must have something to do with the French food), then Bermuda, New England and up the Hudson/Erie Canal. We were going to go via Newfoundland and Labrador but June remembered that one of the kids is getting married this summer - details, details!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook