SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying a 30-40 year old boat - your opinions
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
Re: Buying a 30-40 year old boat - your opinions

I am new to boats and sailing. A year ago I never set foot on a sailboat. My wife and I bought a 37 year old Schock Santana 30. Its been AMAZING. Overbuilt. THICK fiberglass. Its got a smaller main than most modern boats and gets alot of power from its headsail...So I have to reef alot less in bigger winds. In light winds she is still pretty quick for an old boat. Its stable, fast, easy to sail and I can single hand her with ease. Its been VERY well kept up and in the first year of ownership I have done very little other than sail. I bought a new (used) headsail, and recently replaced a bilge pump...and replaced a battery. Thats all the repairs I have done. An older boat thats well cared for is not bad at all. I also drive a 1976 BMW...so I have a soft spot for the classics! The wife? Not so much...lol. She drives a 2013 Audi and loves the new Beneteaus!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook