SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying a 30-40 year old boat - your opinions
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Buying a 30-40 year old boat - your opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Deciding to buy a boat after attending a boat show is kind of like deciding you want to get married after watching a dating reality show - the two have virually nothing to do with each other.
Nice analogy!

I have somewhere between 7,000 to 8,000 miles of sailing under my belt. And I know very well the reality of boat maintenance, care and use. We did a lot of sailing on my dad's Columbia 45, making the trek from Chicago to Mackinac and back every year. We even sailed into the North Channel and Georgian Bay on occasion. My dad took the boat through the Great Lakes and down through the Intercoastal. From there I joined him for sails to the Bahamas and down to the Keys.

But it wasn't all sailing. The first year we took it to a boat yard for haul out and winter storage. It sat in the water for over a month until one day one of the glass strainers broke when the water in it froze and the boat sunk - in the Chicago River!

The boat yard cleaned it up but there were problems on it for years after that. I did all of the repairs, including getting the generator to work again. That took me three seasons. Yes, I know boat repair reality too.

For me, the boat show was educational as far as seeing what's out there today. It was also a re-immersion into the sailing world and ended up being a motivator to fulfill my dream of buying a boat when I retire. Oh, and it was also educational in that I found Pusser's Painkillers!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook