SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mooring vs slip?
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Mooring vs slip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Our dock is in a protected hurricane hole. Other than a storm which brings 8 foot storm surge ( we have very little todal change unlike Maine) our bat is much safer tied up in 8 places vs t an anchor or mooring.

My question is not for the once in a ten year storm, but is for the normal storms of 30-40 knott winds which are common to have 5 or so a year. I can't beleive its safer to go anchor my boat out than leave it in a marina protected 360 degrees.

Fairly cruisers, does tht mean every storm you untie your boat and anchor t setting on it?

Dave
I sailed out of Herrington Harbor South on the Saturday of the boat show.

Image Courtesy Water Way Guide:

It was blowing approx 20-25+ when we returned at about 9:00 pm. Despite this being a very "protected" hole with a narrow fairway to get in, my friends boat was still heeling in the slip and pinned against the dock after we tied her up. He's only got a few inches between his boat and the pilings.. All that in only 20-25 knots in a "protected" hole.. During the day while we were out sailing it blew harder but I was not there to see how the boats reacted..

Down there you don't have a choice as there are very limited moorings. Up here there is a choice and many of our local marinas don't have a wait list while at the same time the mooring fields do..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook