SailNet Community - View Single Post - 45' + blue water cruiser
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: 45' + blue water cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryusui View Post
I have been in the market looking for a boat to travel around the world on. I found an older boat i had liked but something in my gut says stay away so im going to. I recently looked into new boats and im considering either a catalina 445 or the 470. I will be living aboard with my girl friend soon to be fiance and my best friend will be traveling with us. Does anybody have any thoughts, ideas or suggestions on any other boats to consider; or are these two the best. All the research i have done says both are great boats.
Well I have a suggestion for you:

All 45 new cruisers on the market have potential for what you want but none of them, except partially in very expensive boats, come prepared for that and it seems that you don't have the knowledge or the experience to real know what is missing.

Melrna is commanding from Catalina one of the boats you have mentioned, one adapted for what you want. she is an experienced sailor and knows what would be necessary to add to a boat to make it fit for living aboard and do extended cruising with ocean passages in mind. All that she said makes sense and I can add some more things (that probably she had commanded anyway) like a bigger alternator, bigger capacity AGM batteries, removable stay for storm sail, a top performance anchor, an autoprop propeller.

As a basis why do you not start by commanding to Catalina a 445 with the specifications Melrna has ordered and start from there?

However you have to consider that the main reason why standard boats come not equipped like that is because it would be expensive. So be prepared to pay a lot more than what would cost a standard equipped 445.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-14-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook