SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ainia - read this second
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Ainia - read this second

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Looking at Mauritius on GE (great resolution for most areas).. wondering where exactly you're hanging out??
We are in Port Louis at the head of the harbour. Normally visiting boats stay in a small marina basin but is resereved for the World ARC boats that have started to arrive - there are around 25 of them. Individual boats - 5 or so are tied to the wall in the middle of the beautifully refurbished harbour district. We have been major tourist attractions and had a four piece band with great singer performing right next to the boat during dinner.

Starting to look like we will leave tomorrow afternoon and head directly to South Africa. Apparently Reunion is very expensive and the hurricane-secure marina (there are no natural harbors on the island) is already quite full without visiting boats. 1500 miles or so to Richard's Bay and there does not look like much wind after the first 60 hours or so. I think that I have figured out the crossing do the Agulhas Current near the SA coast so wish me luck. For those who might not know, when a 'southwest buster' from a cold front meets the strong south flowing current, 20 m (65') waves are "common" as the guides say. To give you a sense of what the lows are like in this neighbourhood, there was one much south of us here that was 970 mb!