SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying a 30-40 year old boat - your opinions
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Buying a 30-40 year old boat - your opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I'm totally in agreement with the 'Ikea' comments wrt to the interior designs and spaces of the newest offerings from boat manufacturers. So many aspects of today's interiors just don't wash for me, I still like the 'traditional' nautical look.

Squared off passageways (actually 'doors' now...) horizontal grain lines of laminate or veneer, angular styling etc don't do it for me. I've no problem with the hull shapes and the design advances performance-wise, and understand that to load these hulls with extra heavy interior appointments would be kind of pointless, still, it seems to me the more traditional nautical trims and details could be maintained. (IMO Catalina so far has kept closest to this standard..)

The other glaring issue with the new boats is volume... foot for foot these boats are huge below, large expanses of cabin sole as the furnishings are pushed to the outside of the hull space. BUT.... the cost of this has been usable storage areas below. Our near-30 year old boat has, in the salon, standard settees with a folding centerline table, but we have storage compartments outboard of these that holds a ridiculous amount of stuff - areas over 18" deep and from hull to deck height. On the newer boats you're lucky to find a 4 inch deep compartment that your handheld GPS might fit into... (okay - that may be a slight exaggeration but you get my drift....)

It's kind of nice to come out of a boat show without a burning desire to put the old girl on the block and mortgage yourself silly for the 'new one'.....
I couldn't have said it better.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook