SailNet Community - View Single Post - AC72 - On Foils
Thread: AC72 - On Foils
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: AC72 - On Foils

What I don't understand is the apparent simplicity of the foils on the AC boats. They basically look like an L shaped dagger board, with little (if any) means of adjustment. The foils I've seen on other boats of this size appear much more complex and stout. First, I can't believe that little "foot" can take almost the entire load. In fact, one of the foils broke off the first time the Oracle 72 sailed. They Frankensteined something from USA 17 (the tri that won the AC), and that's what they are using now. Given the technology involved in the rest of the boat, it seems rather simple and crude to me. In any case, it's certainly interesting and will be fun to watch.
I throughly enjoyed watching the 45's in SF during the AC World Series. I'll never forget driving down Fillmore street and seeing the tops of the wings flying along at 25-30 knots ABOVE the buildings! It was actually difficult to comprehend what I was seeing. The 72's on foils with a 130 foot wing, should be absolutely ballistic! Seeing it in person will be quite different than on TV. If you can make it to SF in 2013, you've got a ride on my boat! Though, the shore viewing will be spectacular as well. Anyway....I digress. How bout those foils?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook