SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying a 30-40 year old boat - your opinions
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Buying a 30-40 year old boat - your opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Deciding to buy a boat after attending a boat show is kind of like deciding you want to get married after watching a dating reality show - the two have virually nothing to do with each other.
I think watching the Miss America pageant would be a closer comparison. Things DO go wrong on those dating shows.

Quote:
Cruising boats have become more luxurious and spacious belowdecks, usually at the expensive of potential sailing ability which could have been realized due to advances in materials, design and technology.

The result is there is a surplus of well-built, rugged, dual purpose boats which can be acquired for one tenth the cost of a new boat, and which only suffer in comparison to interior space and comfort features, aspects which have little actual bearing on the enjoyment of the boat.
One thing about this comparison, if you compare new to old on the basis of waterline length rather than LOA (which most people use) the older boats accommodations don't suffer nearly as much. My friends current Hunter 38 was actually the same size as my Columbia 43. A Chris Craft 42 Comanche is about the same size as a contemporary 30' - as well as being a LOT more beautiful.

Your other comments are spot on IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook