SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying a 30-40 year old boat - your opinions
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Buying a 30-40 year old boat - your opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
But it wasn't all sailing. The first year we took it to a boat yard for haul out and winter storage. It sat in the water for over a month until one day one of the glass strainers broke when the water in it froze and the boat sunk - in the Chicago River!

The boat yard cleaned it up but there were problems on it for years after that. I did all of the repairs, including getting the generator to work again. That took me three seasons. Yes, I know boat repair reality too.
You've already experienced the worst of fixing an old boat then - NOTHING is worse than resurrecting a sunken boat.

Quote:
For me, the boat show was educational as far as seeing what's out there today. It was also a re-immersion into the sailing world and ended up being a motivator to fulfill my dream of buying a boat when I retire.
You should never use that word again - bad Karma.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 10-14-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook