SailNet Community - View Single Post - Question for those who sail cutters
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Question for those who sail cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
On the Tartan I saw at our local brokerage (and a similarly rigged Bene 40 in our marina) the forwardmost sail was/appeared to be a roller furled Asail - in which case there may not be a 'stay' there at all. Upwind work would be handled by the inner sail, when you peel off the wind you roll out the 'screacher' and carry on.
Tartan markets that arrangement as their "Cruise Control Rig"... A good arrangement in theory, but IMHO it primarily is a marketing deal, and their target market is those who never want to have to set foot out of the cockpit, and for whom "ease of sailing" tops the list...

A far better arrangement, seems to me, is simply to have the provision to fly a Code 0 from a free-flying furler whenever you want to do so. But of course, that entails a bit of actual "work - hoisting it, running the sheets, and so on... Many folks today would prefer to live with the considerable tradeoffs/downsides Rich H mentions, problems with headstay tension, the airflow over the self-tacker disturbed by the furled reacher, and so on...

One thing I really don't like about the permanent stowage of that type of sail on a furler, is the absence of a UV cover... You're not gonna put a UV cover on a light air reaching sail, and those sails are built to a rather limited wind range to begin with, the last thing you want to do is further weaken their construction and material by constant exposure to UV...

Seems like to prolong the life of the sail, you'd have to be routinely removing it from the furler, anyway... Stowing a reacher on a free-flying furler winds up being less "work", in the end...

But, the folks in the Marketing Department don't see it that way, so... (grin)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook