SailNet Community - View Single Post - how do i make it warm
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: how do i make it warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallboatlover View Post
im using candles right now
SBL .... someone mentioned very early on the ceramic pot upside down on a fuel stove (alcohol or kerosene). This method has been a staple of yachtsmen in Australia (and yes there are bits of Oz that get cold) for ever and a day. Not so good with an LPG stove (too much moisture for one) but with alcohol you will be surprised how effective. Steal one from you parent's () garden.

The other cheap alternative is a kero or oil lamp. We had one on our old boat and it was only this weekend I got round to fitting it to the new girl. As it happens Saturday was a cool evening and rather than fire up the diesel heater we lit the oil lamp. Takes the chill off the air and provided you don't want tropical temps it works a treat. (Second hand oil lamps are probably better than new. The new ones that I've had the misfortune to buy have leaked. Reality is they are made to be ornaments.)

Both alternatives will cost you from zip to just a few bucks.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 10-15-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook