SailNet Community - View Single Post - who had right away?
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012
C&C 34

MysticGringo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to MysticGringo Send a message via AIM to MysticGringo Send a message via Yahoo to MysticGringo Send a message via Skype™ to MysticGringo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
The rules apply to everyone but many just choose not to follow them. If lobsterman gave way to every sailboat that wanted to "assert stand on" they'd never get any work done so they have, in a sense, re-actively adopted the FU stance.... This is and has been driven by a sheer lack of common courtesy on the part of recreational boaters. We are a big part of the cause of their behavior.....

Same is true on the road. The vast majority of drivers speed and a large portion do California stops at stop signs. Few ever even look when "yielding" onto a highway or use directionals to turn. Truckers and other ignorant/arrogant drivers often hang out in the passing lane, asserting their "rights", by blocking traffic and setting their own self imposed speed limits.. Not their job to police the left lane but they feel a right to do it. They do this despite it being illegal in many states, including Maine. So I'd say not obeying the rules happens both on and off the water... People pick and choose what they want to abide by on the roads, just as working lobstermen do on the water..

Not saying what they do is necessarily is right just warning folks how the "real world" operates outside of a forum where people quote the COLREGS as if everyone actually obeys them...

Assuming a lobsterman will "give way" may get you killed or your boat sunk, likely followed by a one finger salute... Be careful these guys are the last of the true Cowboy's...!!
I was imagining it to be more along the lines of not abiding by the rules as to which side of the road you travel on versus speeding or going slow in a fast lane.

Either way, I agree that working boats deserve their space, and regardless of the rules, I'd rather let them do their thing... I'm here for enjoyment, not to tell some guy making a hard living that he is not following the regulations.

And it sounds to me that blowing 5 blasts with a whistle or horn will make you a target, not get to a solution.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook