SailNet Community - View Single Post - What I learned at the Annapolis Boat Show
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: What I learned at the Annapolis Boat Show

15 minutes into my first day at the show, I heard the following question posed to a salesman that pretty much says it all about the state of "sailing", today...

"Does it have a JOYSTICK?"

The Annapolis show is always fun, but it's pretty depressing what a hollow shell of what it was 10 or 15 years ago it has now become. The variety of boats that were exhibited this year is not even remotely close to what we were seeing a dozen or more years ago, and it seems each year now another builder is conspicuous by its absence. For me this year, it was Morris. Last year, their Leadership 44 I thought was the star of the show, now they're not even back with one of their Faberge Egg Daysailers, which I think speaks volumes about the state of the industry today...

The show really should be re-named the UNITED STATES CHARTER CATAMARAN & PLASTIC PRODUCTION SAILBOAT SHOW... Without the presence of the hordes of charter companies and their flybridge multihulls with booms 25 feet above the water, the entire show could now be squeezed into Ego Alley. Amazing the amount of open water in between the outer docks now, and this year for the first time, in an effort to fill open space outside the perimeter dock, local brokers were invited to show brokerage boats...

This Stairway to Heaven aboard the Isara 50 has to rate as the stupidest thing I saw this year... Wouldn't you just love to try to keep that chintzy Chinese stainless work gleaming and water spot-free, in a salt water environment?

This is what passes for a nav station, apparently, on a 46' boat these days... Hands-down winner of the award for the Navigator's Chair Most Wildly Out of Proportion To the Table, my 13" MacBook wouldn't even fit in this space:

Looks like a trickle-down/crossover from the world of stinkpots, will Bimbo Pads become the next big thing on sailboats?

Finally, this year's Beauty...

...and The Beast (Monohull Division, winner for the 3rd consecutive year)...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook