SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying a 30-40 year old boat - your opinions
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Buying a 30-40 year old boat - your opinions

You learn a lot when you build your own house. I know I did. One of the things I learned after we moved in was I took on way too much myself. I won't do that with a boat.

The boat I'll buy will be ready to live aboard and at least take out for short sails. Better, would be harbor hopping. Whatever needs fixing can be done along the way.

I've been browsing the Internet for over a year. When I look at the photos, I first try to place myself on the boat and, with the compiled images in my head, try to imagine the work I'll have to do to make her home. There have been times I've felt exhausted from just thinking about it. That's my cue to move on.

I had always had enough faith in my ability to spot potential problems and hadn't planned on using a surveyor. But when we were having breakfast with Pam Wall, she kind of sold me on the surveyor idea but warned me not all surveyors are not the same and I'll have to do my homework finding a reputable surveyor. Just another hoop one has to jump through.

Of course I first have to do a lot of work around the house before I sell it.

It just never ends, does it?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook