SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying a 30-40 year old boat - your opinions
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012

HeartsContent is on a distinguished road
Re: Buying a 30-40 year old boat - your opinions

I agree with the statement that it must be home to "you".

We just looked at a newer Hunter 33, IKEA city. I will not buy a boat that looks like one of the desks I get at Office Depot - YUCK!. The design and layout of this boat was really good, the quality was awful.

If you intend to cruise the US East coast, Bahamas and Keys, 5 foot should be considered a hard draft limit with 4'6" or less being even better. This removes a lot of those "deals" you see on yachtworld with 5'+ drafts.

Core hulls and iron keels fit into the "why?" category. Who needs the headache and potentially significant additional expense associated with these. Didn't Tartan have serious quality issues that were widely reported? This is your hull!

One thing is for certain. Caveat emptor should be taken very seriously when buying a boat.

There is a boat on yachtworld where the boat had been structurally damaged and repaired and the brokers were hiding this fact. I ran into the seller when inspecting the boat and he asked if the brokers told me - they had not. I don't want to paint with too broad a brush with brokers as I have encountered a couple of honest ones