SailNet Community - View Single Post - Opposition to liveaboards
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

In the SF Bay Area, most marinas officially limit liveaboards to 10% of total slips. As I recall, that number is set by statute.
My marina now has a no live aboard policy, though, the parking lot is 25% full every night, and everybody knows there are many live aboards. The electronic gate keys report to the marina office, so they obviously know it as well. In the past,the legal live aboard situation apparently got out of hand with conflicts, and a shanty town type of climate, so the marina banned liveaboards altogether.
The Liveaboard fees mentioned in this thread make me laugh. Most live aboard fees in this area are $500-$600 IN ADDITION to the regular slip fees! Still, very reasonable rent for the bay area, and most marinas have long waiting lists.
Apparently, my marina thinks the hassle of managing the liveaboards is not worth the extra income. The fact that our liveaboards are "illegal" makes them keep a low profile. On the other hand, our docks and facilities still get the added wear and tear that liveaboards cause, without added compensation.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook