SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is this bilge pump wiring as bad as I think?
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Re: Is this bilge pump wiring as bad as I think?

Quote:
This is due to improper use of tools, the wrong tools and the wrong butt splices.....I have never had one of my installed butt splices fail or leak. They are 100% water tight when installed properly. Problem is most are not installed with the right tools or properly shrunk to create a water tight seal. People over heat, use open flame or under shrink them and destroy them. They also cut them by using the wrong crimp tools.
That's absolutely the case. All my boats have been used boats and some of the wiring has been horrible. On the other hand, our current 30 year old boat has a bus bar connector for the mast wiring under the sole and it looks like it was installed last month. It was after seeing how well that was holding up that I decided it would simplify things using these connectors. In light of GrahamO's experience with bus bars being able to short out underwater however, I'm going to bench test it to see for myself and then re-evaluate.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook