SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing Capital of the........
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Sailing Capital of the........

I was reading another ad that claimed to be the "Sailing Capital of the World".

The two most common I see claim the title are Newport, RI and Annapolis, MD. I've seen the Bahamas give it a shot, as well as the Virgin Island (US and British)and several more.

I admit, I'm partial to voting for Newport. I've been coming to Narragansett Bay for 25 years and know I still haven't seen it all. Within a few hours sail, there are multiple islands and even more destinations on the Bay, if you aren't up to a coastal passage. You can head down Long Island Sound or up Buzzards Bay and spend a lifetime trying to get to all the ports. You can have anything from a 5 star experience to a quiet anchorage and everything in between. And summer sailing conditions are usually ideal, absent the threat of hurricane.

While I love the Annapolis area, it seems all admit that the summer is hot, humid and has light wind.

So, let's hear where you believe is the Sailing Capital of the World. I'm sure our international friends aren't going to just let the US run away with the title.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook