SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sailing Capital of the........

8K views 60 replies 31 participants last post by  rikhall 
#1 ·
I was reading another ad that claimed to be the "Sailing Capital of the World".

The two most common I see claim the title are Newport, RI and Annapolis, MD. I've seen the Bahamas give it a shot, as well as the Virgin Island (US and British)and several more.

I admit, I'm partial to voting for Newport. I've been coming to Narragansett Bay for 25 years and know I still haven't seen it all. Within a few hours sail, there are multiple islands and even more destinations on the Bay, if you aren't up to a coastal passage. You can head down Long Island Sound or up Buzzards Bay and spend a lifetime trying to get to all the ports. You can have anything from a 5 star experience to a quiet anchorage and everything in between. And summer sailing conditions are usually ideal, absent the threat of hurricane.

While I love the Annapolis area, it seems all admit that the summer is hot, humid and has light wind.

So, let's hear where you believe is the Sailing Capital of the World. I'm sure our international friends aren't going to just let the US run away with the title.

#6 ·
Geography Lesson

Cape Cod

yet will never forget seeing a Sunday horizon full of boats in Newport there's nowhere like it
Newport, RI is not a part of Cape Cod. Cape Cod is a portion of Massachusetts.

My vote is for Newport, RI for the "Sailing Capital of the......" No particular reason, but I think it has more of a sailing history. However, having the Naval Academy in the heart of Annapolis is a strong reason too for that city.

DrB

#18 ·
Here, here!!

At least, that's what we said when I was growing up there many decades ago. I think both Newport and Annapolis have grown since then. Marblehead couldn't because the harbor is only so big, and with a 9-foot tide, it's all moorings and not much of a drysailing scene at all.

Did all those other pretenders to the title have a 45-boat frostbite fleet on the line every Sunday in winter? ;-)

#8 ·
I think Annapolis's claim of being the 'Sailing Capital' is a pun lost on most who read it. The basis for Annapolis' s claim as the Sailing Capital is that we are the only U.S. state capital with a serious sailing reputation. Most, if not all state capitals are inland so that is why our fair city says that it is the Sailing Capital.

The misunderstood pun seemingly has worked a little in that someone took it seriously enough to decide that the Sailing Hall of Fame belongs in Annapolis much to the surprise and consternation of much of Annapolis's sailing community, but that's another story altogether......

#37 ·
I think Annapolis's claim of being the 'Sailing Capital' is a pun lost on most who read it. The basis for Annapolis' s claim as the Sailing Capital is that we are the only U.S. state capital with a serious sailing reputation. Most, if not all state capitals are inland so that is why our fair city says that it is the Sailing Capital.

The misunderstood pun seemingly has worked a little in that someone took it seriously enough to decide that the Sailing Hall of Fame belongs in Annapolis much to the surprise and consternation of much of Annapolis's sailing community, but that's another story altogether......
..and what other State can you find a Governor walking the docks looking to find another way to tax the marine industry...:laugher

#11 ·
geography

I grew up on Chatham Cape Cod~ I don't need a geography lesson amigo of course it's not Newport
Just could not resist mentioning two a
special places

I'm sure there's more too~ my dad while working on the massive airport project used to sail in Kowloon Harbor~ I'm sure Hong Kong is on the list
cheers

love the Marblehead comment
legendary place too

#13 ·
Well, if sailing capital of the world is the place with more sailboats sailing it will be easy to find given adequate statistics but I guess that will be somewhere in Croatia, at least in the summer.

But I don't think that should be the way to look at it but we should be looking at the place where sailboats are more important in the economy, in public interest, in the number of professional sailors, racers, boat designers and professionals that are connected with the sector. In my opinion that is what defines the sailboat capital.

Given these parameters I would not call it a city but a region: I would say between La Rochelle et Lorient.

Do you know any other city that, as Lorient, as a Sail city (La cité de la Voile)?:D

Musée voile à Lorient | Cité de la Voile Éric Tabarly

Regards

Paulo

#14 ·
The world is a big place, with lots of great sailing venues..can't pick just one

Though the season is short, I think that it doesn't get much better than sailing in Maine. The sheer beauty, the infinite number of destinations and stops, The challenges to a sailor and the ability to get away from it all etc.

#16 ·
The world is a big place, with lots of great sailing venues..can't pick just one

Though the season is short, I think that it doesn't get much better than sailing in Maine. The sheer beauty, the infinite number of destinations and stops, The challenges to a sailor and the ability to get away from it all etc.
It is my intention to cruise to Maine sooner or later, for the reasons you mention.

The charts of the coastline are intimidating. Rocks...all rocks. In the Cheseapeake, if you hit the bottom, it's like running into pudding and you just back off.

#15 ·
I'd pick Newport over Annapolis for the quality of the sailing conditions, and the remarkable variety of boats seen (Newport Shipyard vs. Bert Jabin's, not even remotely comparable), the America's Cup heritage and a host of other reasons...

For the Sailing Capital of AMERICA, that is... Anyone who's thinking of "the WORLD", perhaps really needs to get out more... (grin)

Places like Cowes/Southampton, Kiel, La Rochelle, Auckland and Sydney all play host to incredibly vibrant sailing scenes that I'm not sure either Annapolis or Newport come close to matching...

The Barcolana in Trieste, where 2,000 boats cross the start line together...

#17 ·
My vote is for Newport, RI for the "Sailing Capital of the......" No particular reason, but I think it has more of a sailing history. DRB
Now thats so untrue. United States was first colonized through the Chesapeake, Jamestown etc with British ships looking for deep water ports. Annapolis and Baltimore were among first on the list as ports. Annapolis has been one of the 5 capitals of the United States. Annapolis ignomy of being the largest slave port where slaves were brough from Africa and landed first in Annapolis. Alex Haley famour book ROOTS s written about Kunte Kinte who landed in Annapolis ans was sold in its slave house on Ego Alley. Annapolis played an important part of the War of 1812 as a garrison for the British fleet.

I admit, I'm partial to voting for Newport. I've been coming to Narragansett Bay for 25 years and know I still haven't seen it all. Within a few hours sail, there are multiple islands and even more destinations on the Bay, if you aren't up to a coastal passage. You can head down Long Island Sound or up Buzzards Bay and spend a lifetime trying to get to all the ports. You can have anything from a 5 star experience to a quiet anchorage and everything in between. And summer sailing conditions are usually ideal, absent the threat of hurricane.

While I love the Annapolis area, it seems all admit that the summer is hot, humid and has light wind.Minniewaska
Everything you said is true about the Newport area could also be said of the Annapolis and Chesapeake . The many places to anchor here are unbeleiveable, harbors where you can actually anchor not choked by paid mooring fields. Rivers you can go up and anchor at every turn on the Eastern Shore with towns from the 1600;s. Anchorages in the midst of pure wildife not seen up north until you get to Maine/ While it is true it is unsually hot and humid here for two months ( thats why we come north to the LI Sound in August), our sailing season starts in March and ends near Christmas. You guys are have already put your boats away and we have a couple months to go here. So therre is 3 more months of sailing here. Many of us also do not put our boats on land in winter also. The think about the Chesapeak is you dont have to "look" or wait for an inlet or harbor to find anchorages...they abound everywhere. You also dont have to worry usually about rocks like the " Little Mermaid" holing your boat. On the Chessie current directuion or speed is never an issue and we look to sail for a weekend, all we care about is wind direction/ Up north current is king. We also find it cheaper to sail in the Chesapeake than up north.

We enjoy the best of both sailing worlds, and sail in both sailing worlds. We always encourage our friends to come north wirth us because we enjoy it. We also have met a lot of nice sailnetters on our travels north who have been very gracious, and have encouraged them to come south in the fall when the sailing here cannot be beat.

I think its a tie for Sailing Capital of the United States between Annapolis and Newport, they both have their charm and their advantages,,,some of which are the same. But the tie is for second place because I thing the NZ have it over both cities.

#26 ·
Now thats so untrue. United States was first colonized through the Chesapeake, Jamestown etc with British ships looking for deep water ports. Annapolis and Baltimore were among first on the list as ports. Annapolis has been one of the 5 capitals of the United States. Annapolis ignomy of being the largest slave port where slaves were brough from Africa and landed first in Annapolis. Alex Haley famour book ROOTS s written about Kunte Kinte who landed in Annapolis ans was sold in its slave house on Ego Alley. Annapolis played an important part of the War of 1812 as a garrison for the British fleet.
While your statements are accurate, the New England area was also heavily colonized in the early 1600's in Massachusetts. Extensive whaling was done, large ports for merchant ships, and shipbuilding all up and down the New England Coast in the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries. Marblehead and Beverly make claims to being the birthplace of the American Navy. Portsmouth, RI area is home to Bristol, Pearson, J-Boat and a whole host of other modern recreational boats manufacturers. Newport, RI has hosted the AC. This the sailing history that I was referring to.

I have sailed many times on the Chessy and my parents had a house on the Eastern Shore banks and my cousin has boat and house on the Wye. The great thing about the Chessy is the ability to anchor almost anywhere in a little creek or cove. The bad thing of the Chessy is August. Hot, no wind, and daily thunderstorms.

#19 ·
Yaeh nothing like the SEven spreader rigs or the trans ocean racers at the Newport Shipyard. We usually moor on the other side of the Goat Island brridge when we travel their vs the crowded harbor mooring field. Our dinghy ride past the Newport Shipyard usually means passing some outragous sailing machines. Where do thes boats go in November?

Dave

#21 ·
Just to keep the fire burning. Our marina has several boaters from Annapolis (or vicinity) that come up for the entire season and leave their boats here on the hard over the winter. There are something like a dozen flights a day between Baltimore and Providence. Does Annapolis get boaters from Newport that come for the entire season?

#24 ·
For the poster that asked how to define it, I say you can define it any way you like.

For me, to be a sailing capital, it doesn't need to have the most boats. But let's face it, if its the sailing capital, it needs a lot of sailboats. However, even a place like Newport is not always crowded. East Passage around Fort Adams and Dumpling Island can be a bottleneck, but West Passage is nearly private most of the time.

I say it also needs many weekend sailing destinations and a variety of experiences. It would be nice to have a rich history of the sport, not just a port, and manufacture of sailboats, even if from an era prior to the exodus of manufacturing from the US. A museum or two couldn't hurt.

#25 ·
Italy

PCP. wonderful reference to Italy I just did some research by my numbers am I correct they raced literally yesterday~ will we have to wait a whole other year for that gem

The Barcolana regata (Slovene: barkovljanka) or Autumn Cup(Coppa d'Autunno), named after the village of Barcola, is a historical European sailing race born in 1969 thanks to the Società Velica di Barcola e Grignano of Trieste. It takes place annually in the Gulf of Trieste, every second Sunday in October and is one of the largest sailing races in the world with over 2000 participants.

#27 ·
I say it also needs many weekend sailing destinations and a variety of experiences. It would be nice to have a rich history of the sport, not just a port, and manufacture of sailboats, even if from an era prior to the exodus of manufacturing from the US. A museum or two couldn't hurt
Sounds like San Diego/Orange County California now, what is this "on the hard" and "winter" you guys speak of?
Except we got no excessive heat, bugs, lightening or hurricanes to enjoy.

#28 ·
i love sailing the sf bay. i dont think it's the sailing capital of the world or country, and that's an advantage, i think.

prices are relatively low for slips and there is good availability, there are enough sailing clubs that you can pick from various criteria, and the wind is fantastic. depths are generally good, no lobster pots or other fishing hazards. there seems to be a good racing scene, though i am not familiar with it personally.

oh, and year-round sailing, depending on ones preferences, but either way no ice or snow.

and yet, not the center of the sailing world. oh well.

#29 ·
The Wye...one of our favorite spots is Granary or Dividing Creek tucked in amongst the tree and the bald eagles.

Another criteria is which of the boat shows is the largest. Museums...huh....why isnt the Naval Academy in Newport? The largest museums in the US are in DC on a tributary of the Chessie 28 miles away. Baltimore is and was one of top 2 ports in the US and the reason the British wanted her in 1812 were for the shipyards there. NOrfolk....is where the Navy is. US Anthem- Star Spangled Banner was written in a spot I pass every time I take my boat out of the Club where she is kept. Did OP sail visit Newport? VOLVO race has come to Annapolis many times. You do have it with the Americas Cup. Great tradition.

We start sailing March 15 ( Ideas of march), leave the Chessie in August for three weeks and travel to the other sailing capitol of the United States ( Newport area) for three weeks. Gorge ourself on lobster and scallops as well as cool weather. It is as close a sailing exeprience as we can get on the Chessie and wind dies here. The we come back for blue crabs and crab cakes and sail till Christmas. Gives us a 9 month sailing season.

I have though I would like to leave my boat up there for June July and bring her back the end of August. So many more places we could visit or revisit. Can take one of those 8 filghts out of BWI. Doesnt however make sense to cut my sailing season 2 months short so Id bring her home

BTW, the only people who acn truly make an ACCURATE comparison are those who have sailed in both places ( anyone can read a map or book) So tell me how many have you have sailesd at least a couple of weeks in both places. Raise your hand............I though so. Those who have would say they like both

#30 ·
....why isnt the Naval Academy in Newport?
Because we have the Naval War College in Newport. We let you sort out the duds and then the successful ones come here. :)

...US Anthem- Star Spangled Banner was written in a spot I pass every time I take my boat out of the Club....
Now that's pretty cool, but not really sailing capital stuff. Francis Scott Key was a lawyer and poet, not a sailor. :)

I have though I would like to leave my boat up there for June July and bring her back the end of August. So many more places we could visit or revisit. Can take one of those 8 filghts out of BWI. Doesnt however make sense to cut my sailing season 2 months short so Id bring her home
I've known several to do it. Most end up leaving their boats here, but often start by bringing them back and forth. Typically, one direction is a cruising vacation and they have her delivered the other. Then the delivery expense starts eating at them and they stay.

Also, while you can rent a slip for two months, the breakeven for the entire seasonal rate is roughly three months, so they all do the entire season so they aren't on a firm deadline.

BTW, the only people who acn truly make an ACCURATE comparison are those who have sailed in both places ( anyone can read a map or book) So tell me how many have you have sailesd at least a couple of weeks in both places. Raise your hand............I though so. Those who have would say they like both
Well, of course, you're right. I have sailed in both places, along with a few others than lay claim to the title. Naturally, with so many Chessy sailors up here, we get a few invites. But your conclusion ruins the entire spirit of the debate. This is all for fun........ I still don't recall hearing of too many Narragansett Bay sailors that keep their boat on the Chessy........

#38 · (Edited)
Sorry guys, the title has already been taken! :) Ilhabela (on the coast of Sao Paulo) is the "sailing capital" (of Brazil anyway!). Great climate, year-round sailing, regattas, reliable wind and spectacular natural beauty!

Ilhabela - Capital da Vela - YouTube
Beautiful place. I think it makes more sense to talk about a country's sail capital and in that regards Portucal, Cascais. But even if we talk at world level and if we consider big sailing international top events, Cascais would be hard to beat. Just look at the big sailing events that took place there in one year:

Well in one year Cascais had:

America's cup (Ac 45)
Volvo Ocean race end of leg and in port races.
Audi med cup (TP 52 and soto 40)
Open 60 ( Europa warm up)
RC44 (Cascais cup)
Mod 70 (end of leg and in port race)

And even if I consider that Dinghy competitions are less important, 5 years ago the ISAF sail world championships were sailed there.

The conditions for sailing are just great, take a look:

and the town and surroundings are beautiful:

Cascais is not only a nice place for racing, it has a great bay protected by the predominant winds. It was a favorite place of mine when I cruised in Portugal, 30 years ago, on my traditional wooden boat. Great place, great food and great night live.

Regards

Paulo

#33 ·
I still don't recall hearing of too many Narragansett Bay sailors that keep their boat on the Chessy........-Minneswaska
Thats a good point. I have often wondered why since your season essentially ends Oct 1 for many why some dont sail down and enjoy fall here as well as spring the following year and then sail back up. There are plenty of PB who pull here in October. We do have one person who comes from NE ( Portsmouth, NH every October and keeps his boat here in the shoulder months to get 3 extra months of sailing in.

We do see an influx of people in October, but usually they are headed further south. I dont blame them either. January in Maryland vs January in Florida or the Bahamas...no brainer/

On the other hand maybe this really is a terrible place to sail and I have blinders on ( hopefully this will keep everyone away so we can keep it to ourselves)

Dave

#42 ·
Thats a good point. I have often wondered why since your season essentially ends Oct 1 for many....
I think there are only a dozen or so that have hauled from our marina so far. But, you're right, 10/1 is about all you can count on for sure. Sept is an incredible month. However, last Saturday, we saw 15 kts and upper 60 deg temps. Pretty good! This coming weekend shows one promising day, but I am probably dropping the sails this weekend. Nov 1 is the most popular haul target.

On the other hand maybe this really is a terrible place to sail and I have blinders on ( hopefully this will keep everyone away so we can keep it to ourselves)
Now there is a clever angle. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.