SailNet Community - View Single Post - surveyors in Vancouver
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: surveyors in Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
I'd almost prefer being told things were not ok when they were over what happened to me. I got the everything looks great, and a few minor fixes in writing in the survey, along with a half page of caveats for what they weren't responsible for, got billed a lot more than most surveyors charge. Fixing the boat has emptied my bank account, and I still haven't taken her for a single sail yet. On the bright side the next owner is going to get a damn nice boat, and I'll be able to pay off half my loan with what I get back to try again, then I can pay off the other half of the 20 grand and try again.
This is a good reason to avoid surveyors who put "Stylishness" at the top of their list of priorities, instead of giving honest answers about things which realy matter. The former pay no regard to what you have to spend ,and assume all their clients are super rich, and have no budget concerns. They will have you wasting cruising funds on their own "Yachtie, status symbol" priorities , rather than that which really matters.