Re: Signing up for races
Well the good news is once you've proven yourself, you'll have no shortage of racing opportunities. Skipper/owners are always in need of good crew. So... how to "prove" yourself....
1. join your local sailing club/cruising club & be active. meet people. tell them you are interested in crewing.
2. start small. find casual/fun races to crew on. most sailing areas have these. they are often called Thurs night races or Rum races etc. volunteer for race committee. volunteer for anything.
3. be available, dependable and hard-working. do the jobs nobody else wants.
4. keep improving your skills. rent a single-handed boat & practice sail trim.
5. once you get a crew spot, don't be picky. learn what you can from whatever situation you find yourself in. if the fit is not good, keep looking for another team but always keep improving your skills.