SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing Capital of the........
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012

DrB will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing Capital of the........

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Now thats so untrue. United States was first colonized through the Chesapeake, Jamestown etc with British ships looking for deep water ports. Annapolis and Baltimore were among first on the list as ports. Annapolis has been one of the 5 capitals of the United States. Annapolis ignomy of being the largest slave port where slaves were brough from Africa and landed first in Annapolis. Alex Haley famour book ROOTS s written about Kunte Kinte who landed in Annapolis ans was sold in its slave house on Ego Alley. Annapolis played an important part of the War of 1812 as a garrison for the British fleet.
While your statements are accurate, the New England area was also heavily colonized in the early 1600's in Massachusetts. Extensive whaling was done, large ports for merchant ships, and shipbuilding all up and down the New England Coast in the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries. Marblehead and Beverly make claims to being the birthplace of the American Navy. Portsmouth, RI area is home to Bristol, Pearson, J-Boat and a whole host of other modern recreational boats manufacturers. Newport, RI has hosted the AC. This the sailing history that I was referring to.

I have sailed many times on the Chessy and my parents had a house on the Eastern Shore banks and my cousin has boat and house on the Wye. The great thing about the Chessy is the ability to anchor almost anywhere in a little creek or cove. The bad thing of the Chessy is August. Hot, no wind, and daily thunderstorms.