SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any reviews of the Cal 33-2?
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012

WoobaGooba is on a distinguished road
Re: Any reviews of the Cal 33-2?

Long term owner of early hull # in 1986. Shoal draft.

Note Cal 34 is not related in any way with the 33-2. Two different designs and builders.

What I like? Sailplan, fore and aft berths, engine, engine access, mast, cockpit layout. Sails better than expected. Just finished 30 mile upwind slug in 25 knots with #3 and single reefed main. Headroom below is great and it is generally a decent looking boat

Things I really do not like. Forward hull oil cans in a chop (this might have been remedied in later builds). General construction of the deck has many sharp 90 degree corners above and below decks aft. Meaning more stress cracking and gel coat voids at the corners...plus dangerous if you land on one of them. Cockpit lazarrette lid is heavy, bulky, and thus a safety hazard when open in a chop. The U shaped starboard settee is just not a good design for group dinner or for sleeping upon. Original traveler is a joke.

I've years on Swans and Sabres. I would place the build quality below Sabre and Tartan of same vintage, but the price will also be lower.

I'm not sure I would do it again.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook