SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing Capital of the........
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Sailing Capital of the........

The Wye...one of our favorite spots is Granary or Dividing Creek tucked in amongst the tree and the bald eagles.

Another criteria is which of the boat shows is the largest. Museums...huh....why isnt the Naval Academy in Newport? The largest museums in the US are in DC on a tributary of the Chessie 28 miles away. Baltimore is and was one of top 2 ports in the US and the reason the British wanted her in 1812 were for the shipyards there. NOrfolk....is where the Navy is. US Anthem- Star Spangled Banner was written in a spot I pass every time I take my boat out of the Club where she is kept. Did OP sail visit Newport? VOLVO race has come to Annapolis many times. You do have it with the Americas Cup. Great tradition.

We start sailing March 15 ( Ideas of march), leave the Chessie in August for three weeks and travel to the other sailing capitol of the United States ( Newport area) for three weeks. Gorge ourself on lobster and scallops as well as cool weather. It is as close a sailing exeprience as we can get on the Chessie and wind dies here. The we come back for blue crabs and crab cakes and sail till Christmas. Gives us a 9 month sailing season.

I have though I would like to leave my boat up there for June July and bring her back the end of August. So many more places we could visit or revisit. Can take one of those 8 filghts out of BWI. Doesnt however make sense to cut my sailing season 2 months short so Id bring her home

BTW, the only people who acn truly make an ACCURATE comparison are those who have sailed in both places ( anyone can read a map or book) So tell me how many have you have sailesd at least a couple of weeks in both places. Raise your hand............I though so. Those who have would say they like both

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook