SailNet Community - View Single Post - Piscataqua River Dock & Dines
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012

CaptTom is on a distinguished road
Re: Piscataqua River Dock & Dines

Well, not exactly 12 knots. I've personally clocked it at 4 in open water, in some spots it can run as much as 6. Hell gate is a cake walk compared to the Piscataqua. The one in NY, anyway. The two in Maine are a little trickier.

That said, you just need to make the current work WITH you, not against you. Catch a fair current and you will be whisked along. Maneuver facing into the current and you'll make a perfect landing or catch the mooring ball every time. But try to travel against the current with anything but a planing hull and you'll be out there a long time. I've seen boats going backward.

You are going to have to run the auxiliary to get much above the mouth. And make sure you have fresh fuel. I've seen too many boats up against a bridge or drifting out of control after a long day of sailing has stirred up the sediments and algae in their diesel fuel.

It's technically a tidal estuary system, not a river. The current reverses every 6 hours. Anchoring requires a good anchor watch. Slack water can be as much as an hour after high or low tide in the lower part of the system, even later as you get upstream.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook