SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing Capital of the........
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing Capital of the........

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
....why isnt the Naval Academy in Newport?
Because we have the Naval War College in Newport. We let you sort out the duds and then the successful ones come here.

Quote:
...US Anthem- Star Spangled Banner was written in a spot I pass every time I take my boat out of the Club....
Now that's pretty cool, but not really sailing capital stuff. Francis Scott Key was a lawyer and poet, not a sailor.

Quote:
I have though I would like to leave my boat up there for June July and bring her back the end of August. So many more places we could visit or revisit. Can take one of those 8 filghts out of BWI. Doesnt however make sense to cut my sailing season 2 months short so Id bring her home
I've known several to do it. Most end up leaving their boats here, but often start by bringing them back and forth. Typically, one direction is a cruising vacation and they have her delivered the other. Then the delivery expense starts eating at them and they stay.

Also, while you can rent a slip for two months, the breakeven for the entire seasonal rate is roughly three months, so they all do the entire season so they aren't on a firm deadline.

Quote:
BTW, the only people who acn truly make an ACCURATE comparison are those who have sailed in both places ( anyone can read a map or book) So tell me how many have you have sailesd at least a couple of weeks in both places. Raise your hand............I though so. Those who have would say they like both
Well, of course, you're right. I have sailed in both places, along with a few others than lay claim to the title. Naturally, with so many Chessy sailors up here, we get a few invites. But your conclusion ruins the entire spirit of the debate. This is all for fun........ I still don't recall hearing of too many Narragansett Bay sailors that keep their boat on the Chessy........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook