SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any PSC37s with 4-blade Variprops out there?
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012

Mythago is on a distinguished road
Re: Any PSC37s with 4-blade Variprops out there?

Nice job on the install. I contemplated cutting the shaft when we put ours in but chickened out. Out of interest, do you know what the factory preset your forward and reverse pitch to? After much discussion we went with 12" forward and 9" reverse. On a somewhat different note, I went to a seminar by Larry Berlin from Mack-Boring at the Annapolis show and he had a very interesting insight into the whole propeller pitching process. Basically, for reasons I didn't fully grasp, the tach on the engine panel although reasonably precise is not accurate enough and he suggests using a photo-tach to determine the true rpm of the engine and we are not to be surprised if the difference in the readings is as much as 200 rpm. Same comment applies for the boat speed instruments..... I think I'll have to get hold of a photo tach and create a variation curve and check my knotmeter against the gps if I really want to be accurate about all of this. As usual, nothing is as simple as you think.

Fair Winds
S/V Mythago 1995 PS37 #301 ON831667
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook