SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is this bilge pump wiring as bad as I think?
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012

GrahamO is on a distinguished road
Re: Is this bilge pump wiring as bad as I think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Any particular type or brand of self-amalgamating tape that you prefer?
It has been a while since I worked offshore but I think we used 3M (Scotch) then. We used to stagger the connections, twist wires together (crimps create a weak point when a lot of flexing is likely, NEVER solder), insulate each wire with adhesive heat shrink, coat the whole joint with a VERY messy goop similar to liquid electrical tape, and then use self amalgamating tape. This was good for 10,000' of seawater if done right so it should work in a bilge...... The liquid tape was to get all the air out of the join to make it pressure tolerant - not required for bilge use.

Interesting side tips: When connecting to terminal strips we never used heat shrink on terminals because they could get contaminated with salt water and then corrode through unseen. Also we never used ring terminals, always spades. This is counter-intuitive but it is MUCH easier to find a loose connection where the wire has actually fallen off than an intermittent open circuit caused by a loose ring terminal. If we could only get ring terminals we would snip them open before use.

Last edited by GrahamO; 10-16-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook