SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying a 30-40 year old boat - your opinions
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Buying a 30-40 year old boat - your opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Wow... now you are talking. Moody is a nice boat, but not too many in the States. I like the Moody 42, and love her layout. There is one in New England posted in YW. Just too bad that the hull is painted red, a bit offensive to me.
I know almost nothing about Moody but after looking at a few on Yachtworld, I walked away very impressed. The ones I was looking at were 44's. I think someone said here that Moody hulls are built like Hinkley's?

I learned a lot with my dad's boat. I suppose resurrecting her from the sinking in the murky waters of the Chicago River resulted in the equivalent of a crash course in boat troubleshooting and repair. I think my dad had either lost the fire or had spent a lot more than he ever imagined (I know the boat yard denied they were responsible for the sinking but who paid what, I don't know) because my dad was very patient as I learned how to fix things. Normally, he would have called in a pro.

With what I learned about his boat, I know I don't want major repairs on my list and that means buying a boat that's basically solid. And when I do my own survey, I'll open up every floorboard, every access point and anything else I can find to see how easy or difficult it will be to replace or repair things.

One of the things I liked most about the Sabre 456 was the fact they had the engine compartment open and that it had an equipment room. The salesmen were quick to point out the benefits of easy access to the engine, generator, panelboard, hot water heater, etc. I thought that was a great selling point. That kind of thing is very important to me. Maybe because of my experience with my dad's boat.

Last edited by JulieMor; 10-16-2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook