SailNet Community - View Single Post - Foul Weather Gear
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012

mbsl98 is on a distinguished road
Re: Foul Weather Gear

As mentioned earlier, Practical Sailor did an extensive test of mid-range (under $500 in 2008) gear plus a couple of other tests such as one just for ladies gear. They like Gill OS2 (then called Gill Key West I think) as the top choice in every test, and ranked West at bottom consistently. Timing is very good if you are buying right now. Gill has ended the OS2 line, and the stock is being heavily discounted. I just bought a set from Landfall Navigation in CT. for about $320 (great service by the way). It is mid-level gear, between light coastal gear and the real all-out offshore gear. First impressions are very high, even though I am stepping down from my full offshore Musto kit. The Musto gear is nearing 30 years old and still perfect except for loosing its waterproof finish, so a tough act to follow, but this Gill stuff is really nice, also has a much softer fabric feel/finish (they make great claims about their unique fabrics). In any case, you can get some really good deals on theOS2 until its gone - right around the price for the coastal sets. As noted above also, the sizes vary a lot by maker. Gill seems to run somewhat large, and I had to send back the pants for a smaller size since I did it on line and didn't go to a store to try fit first. Their pants run very long leg lengths in particular.