SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying a 30-40 year old boat - your opinions
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: Buying a 30-40 year old boat - your opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
I know almost nothing about Moody but after looking at a few on Yachtworld, I walked away very impressed. The ones I was were 44's. I think someone said here that Moody hulls are built like Hinkley's?

I learned a lot with my dad's boat. I suppose resurrecting her from the sinking in the murky waters of the Chicago River resulted in the equivalent of a crash course in boat troubleshooting and repair. I think my dad had either lost the fire or had spent a lot more than he ever imagined (I know the boat yard denied they were responsible for the sinking but who paid what, I don't know) because my dad was very patient as I learned how to fix things. Normally, he would have called in a pro.

With what I learned about his boat, I know I don't want major repairs on my list and that means buying a boat that's basically solid. And when I do my own survey, I'll open up every floorboard, every access point and anything else I can find to see how easy or difficult it will be to replace or repair things.

One of the things I liked most about the Sabre 456 was the fact they had the engine compartment open and that it had an equipment room. The salesmen were quick to point out the benefits of easy access to the engine, generator, panelboard, hot water heater, etc. I thought that was a great selling point. That kind of thing is very important to me. Maybe because of my experience with my dad's boat.
Moody 44 has the same layout as Moody 42. They both are nice and meet my need.

If my children were younger, getting an old boat for a total refit is perfect. It will give us a lot of time to bond and tech them to be independent. When they were young, they all worked with me with on cars and Jeep. We then took the Jeep to Colorado and Moab every year to do rock crawling (Thus the rockDawg name).

Now they all grew up, they are too busy to chart their own future. Their Daddy's need is secondary......hahaha. This year, daughter had decided to go back to school for her MD degree. I guess my retirement will take another set back to pay for her $80K a year tuition, room and board. She is the most expensive child I have, but I love her so.

If you like engine access, you would like HR and Passport 40. Hallberg Rassy has a walk in engine room, and Passport 40 has their engine in front of the gallery and under the center island.

Do forget to look at the new DuFour 40e, she is fast, and come with a wine locker . With a minimum refit and upgrade, she can be my ticket to the world.

Good luck.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook